I adore chickpeas and I usually use them to prepare hummus or falafels. Today, I woke up at 5.30am to go to work, back home at 2pm I wanted to eat chickpeas, do not ask me why, because I have no idea. The only thing I knew is that I wanted to eat in less than one hour. Hence this delicious vegan chickpea salad. It took 45 min to prepare. Yay!
- Prep + Cook time: 45 min
- Servings: 2-3
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 onion, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, finely minced
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
500gr (15-ounce) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 apple, chopped
⅓ cup Italian coriander, minced
⅓ cup fresh mint, minced
½ cucumber, peeled and cut in small strips (or dices)
- Heat the olive oil in a big pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin, onion and ginger and cook. Keep stirring, for about one minute.
- Turn the heat to low and add the garlic. Stir frequently, until the garlic is turning golden. Make sure it does not burn
- Turn the heat to medium then add the chickpeas and the apple. Cook during 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chickpeas are warmed through. Turn off the heat.
- Add the coriander and mint. Mix well.
- Finally add the cucumber
- Taste for salt if you feel the need.
- You can replace the apple by dried tomatoes and pinapple chunks
- This vegetarian (vegan for that matter) recipe is easy to prepare, I personally didn’t add any salt in the recipe
- This recipe is not only very easy and delicious, you can eat eat cold, warm or even hot.
- If you eat it cold as a salad, you can add the juice (and the zest) of a lime